- Granting Agency: Federal Transit Administration
- Appropriation Amount: $8,752,896
- Grant Amount: Dependent, planning projects capped at $25,000. No match.
- Announcement Date: February 16, 2022
- Closing Date: May 25, 2022
Purpose: Tribal Transit Program funds Tribes, Alaska Native are awarded competitively for any purpose eligible under FTA’s Formula Grants for Rural Areas Program, including planning, capital, and operating assistance for tribal public transit services in rural areas.
Eligible projects include public transportation planning, capital, or operating expenses. All eligible applicants may apply for operating assistance. Public transportation includes regular, continuing shared-ride surface transportation services open to the public or open to a segment of the public defined by age, disability, or low income. Specific types of projects include: Capital investment for startups, replacement, or expansion needs; operating assistance; and planning projects up to $25,000. Applications that include requests for more than one project type must identify the specific funds requested for each project type (planning, capital, or operating). Indian tribes applying for capital
replacement or expansion needs must demonstrate a sustainable source of operating funds for existing or expanded services.
- Eligible applicants include federally recognized Indian tribes or Alaska Native villages, groups, or communities as identified by the U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI) Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA). To be an eligible recipient, an Indian tribe must have the requisite legal, financial, and technical capabilities to receive and administer Federal funds under this program. Additionally, applicants must be located and provide service in a rural area with a population of less than 50,000. A service area can include some portions of urban areas (as identified in the most recent decennial census), as long as rural areas are also served. Applicants must be registered in the System for Award Management (SAM) database and maintain an active SAM registration with current information while it has an active federal award, application or plan under consideration by FTA.
Additional Resources for Applicants can be found in the NOFO. You can also contact program staff at (312) 353-4118 or TribalTransit@dot.gov.