- Granting Agency: USDOT
- Appropriation Amount: $100 Million
- Grant Amount: Anticipated minimum award $250,000 up to $2,000,000
- Announcement Date: August 8, 2023
- Closing Date: October 10, 2023
The SMART program was established to provide grants to eligible public sector agencies to conduct demonstration projects focused on advanced smart community technologies and systems in order to improve transportation efficiency and safety.
A SMART grant may be used to carry out a project that demonstrates at least one of the following:
- Coordinated automation
- Connected vehicles
- Systems integration
- Innovative aviation
- Smart grid
- Traffic signals
- a State;
- a political subdivision of a State;
- a Tribal government;
- a public transit agency or authority;
- a public toll authority;
- a metropolitan planning organization; and
- a group of 2 or more eligible entities detailed above, applying through a single lead applicant.
Additional information can be found in the NOFO.