- Granting Agency: National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), Department of Commerce
- Appropriation Amount: $288,000,000
- Grant Amount: Funding Range $5,000,000 to $30,000,000, no match but NTIA will look favorably on a 10% cost share
- Announcement Date: 05/19/2021
- Closing Date: August 17, 2021
Purpose: Provide new federal funding for covered broadband projects, defined as competitively and technologically neutral projects for the deployment of
fixed broadband service that provides qualifying broadband service in an eligible service area.
(1) Covered broadband projects designed to provide broadband service to the greatest number of households in an eligible service area;
(2) Covered broadband projects designed to provide broadband service in an eligible service area (see NOFO for definition) that is wholly within any area other than:
(i) a county, city, or town that has a population of more than 50,000 inhabitants; and
(ii) the urbanized area contiguous and adjacent to a city or town of more than 50,000 inhabitants;
(3) Covered broadband projects that are the most cost-effective, prioritizing such projects in areas that are the most rural;
(4) Covered broadband projects designed to provide broadband service with a download speed of not less than 100 megabits per second and an upload speed of not less than 20 megabits per second; and
(5) Any other covered broadband project that meets the requirements of this NOFO.
A covered partnership between (A) a State, or one or more political
subdivisions of a State; and (B) a provider of fixed broadband service. A covered partnership may include more than one provider of fixed broadband service as part of its application. Additionally, a provider of fixed broadband service may participate in more than one covered partnership.