- Granting Agency: Economic Development Administration
- Appropriation Amount: $350 million
- Grant Amount: $100,000 – $30 Million
- Announcement Date: March 15, 2023
- Closing Date: Rolling deadlines
EDA has authority to provide grants to meet the full range of communities’ and regions’ economic development needs from planning and technical assistance to construction of infrastructure. EDA supports bottom-up strategies that build on regional assets to spur economic growth and resiliency. EDA encourages its grantees throughout the country to develop initiatives that present new ideas and creative approaches to advance economic prosperity in distressed communities. Through this NOFO EDA intends to advance general economic development in accordance with EDA’s investment priorities, but also to pursue projects that, where practicable, incorporate specific priorities related to equity, workforce development, and climate change resiliency so that investments can benefit everyone for decades to come.
Through the primarily construction-oriented Public Works program, EDA provides catalytic investments to help distressed communities build, design, or engineer critical infrastructure and facilities that will help implement regional development strategies and advance bottom-up economic development goals to promote regional prosperity. The Public Works program provides resources to meet the construction and/or infrastructure design needs of communities to enable them to become more economically competitive. Examples of projects that have been funded previously include, but are not limited to:
- acquisition and development of land and improvements for use in public works or other types of development facilities;
- design and engineering, construction, rehabilitation, alteration, expansion, or improvement of public works, public service, or related development facilities, including related machinery and equipment;
- water and sewer system improvements;
- creation or expansion of industrial parks;
- creation or expansion of business incubator and accelerator facilities;
- expansion of port and harbor facilities; • construction or expansion of facilities for workforce development;
- redevelopment of brownfield sites;
- expansion, construction, or improvements of technology-based facilities and research and development commercialization centers, including the procurement of necessary equipment;
- construction, expansion, or improvement of wet labs, including the procurement of necessary equipment;
- construction of multi-tenant manufacturing facilities;
- expansion or improvement of research, business and science parks; and
- expansion or enhancement of public facilities with higher quality fiber optic cables and telecommunications infrastructure and broadband infrastructure deployment.Information on how to make your application and evaluation criteria can be found in the funding announcement.
● Indian Tribe or a consortium of Indian Tribes;
● State, county, city, or other political subdivision of a State, including a special purpose unit of a state or local government engaged in economic or infrastructure development activities, or a consortium of political subdivisions;
● Institution of higher education or a consortium of institutions of higher education; or
● Public or private non-profit organization or association acting in cooperation with officials of a political subdivision of a State.
Under the Public Works and EAA programs, EDA is not authorized to provide grants or cooperative agreements to individuals or to for-profit entities, and such requests will not be considered for funding.